jueves, 7 de octubre de 2010

Nonverbal Immediacy Behaviors

I got an score of 109, that means that I am 7 points above than the average of women in college. I feel like the result is correct because I consider myself shy, but at the same time, really sociable and talkative. I love to be around to people and show my affection to them.

Actually, I did the quiz thinking about how I am in Spanish, my native tongue. It is surprising how the language and the culture you are in, can change the way you act. In Spanish I always look at the eyes to the person I am talking to, but in English many times I look to other places because I don´t feel comfortable  enough to express myself about a topic or to construct a sentence in the right way. Also, in my country, we are really close people, we don´t have "personal space"  in the street and in the routine life either. We touch each other all the time and also, we express ourselves including a lot of charming words. Our way to say hi is to smile each other, and give two kisses in the cheeks. Also, hugs are something common in our life. But, we don´t use to shake hands, just in formal situation like in a job interview or in a meeting on business. While living in Oklahoma, I taught myself on how to be close to people, give them their personal space and to introduce people shaking hands; but many times it is really complicated because it was the way I grew up and for me is the way to be. But surprisingly, when I came back to Spain, at first, I felt uncomfortable because people were invading my personal space and touching me. Of course, when I spent 2 weeks there, I got used to it again.Also, these issue caused me several incidents in the United States, people that I kissed and they felt uncomfortable or whenever I write a text to a guy saying : Hi handsome! (the most common thing in Spain), but I am learning of how to be cautious.

So, finally, I think that if I will take this test again thinking about how I am while speaking English it would be differ completely and I will be below the average.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario