lunes, 11 de octubre de 2010

Adaptation Theory




I did my 3 conversation experiments during this week, and I realized how adaption theory works in our lifes. I tried to talk about 3 different environments completely different.


The first one, it was a conversation with my professor at the end of the class. I was asking him a question because I did not understand it in class. I tried to be respectful, so I try using formal language (avoiding slang words and constructions like "I wanna..."). Also, I know that this professor has to make really hard efforts to understand me because of my strong Spanish accent, so when i am speaking to him, I try to open my mouth trying to do a better pronunciation and also, I try to speak louder and slower.                                                                                                                                              
Also, I do make eye contact with him all the time, and I move my hands a lot in order to emphasize what I am saying. Also, is surprising that he is not that concerned about personal space because he have problems to understand me, so he always try to be closer.


The second conversation was with my American friend. She is majoring in Spanish, so many times I speak to her in Spanish because she wants to improve. So, whenever I am speaking to her, I am speaking slower, with not a lot of accent, and the most important, I try to avoid all the slang and expressions that she does not know. Also, I speak emphasizing the most important things to make sure that she is following me and moreover, I use nonverbal communication a lot. I am always making gestures and body movements. Besides, I try not to have a monotone rhythm because it makes that she can understand the separation between words.


The third conversation was a Spanish-Spanish with my best friend through Skype. We were in a really informal situation and we were having a informal conversation full of slang, jokes, and expressions. Also, because we know what we are talking about, we can figure out things that other people have no idea about what we are talking about. I am always making gestures and funny faces and moving my arms and body. When I am relaxed, I am constantly playing with something in my hands or touching my hair. Although is kind of a face to face conversation, the channel is Internet, so it makes that the communication is worst, and even, more complicated because the coverage is not always good or we have some technical problems.


Through these 3 conversations I could appreciate how I change my way of communicating with people. Also, I am sure that the with the same person you have to adapt to the situation and context. It is not the same if you are talking in a private place (your house) than in a public place (NYC subway), or in the morning than in the afternoon, or in the class or in the pub....the context also makes the situation completely different and for consequence, we adapt ourselves to each context.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario